Fritzbox 7490 + dnsmasq + eBlocker = no internet access anymore

Michael Fuhrmann shared this question 1 year ago
Need Answer

Hi Forum,


I have some kind of issue with the use of the eBlocker

and maybe somebody can give some new inputs because I'm running out of

ideas...


Setup:


Fritzbox 7490 as Internet + WLAN router

- static IP 172.20.1.1

- DHCP off

- DNS entries for two "outside-world" DNS servers


RaspberryPi running Ubuntu

- static IP 172.20.100.100

- DHCP and local DNS server for my intranet via dnsmasq

- dnsmasq-settings:

listen-address=127.0.0.1

listen-address=172.20.100.100

dhcp-option=3,172.20.1.1

server=172.20.1.1


So far, so good and everything is running fine.


If I add the eBlocker in my network, I use the following settings:


RaspberryPi running eBlocker 0.9.2-8

- manual network mode

- static IP 172.20.100.120

- DHCP off

- Gateway 172.20.1.1

- DNS 172.20.1.1 (also tried with 172.20.100.100)


When

I change the dnsmasq dhcp-option to the IP of the eBlocker, it should

work as default gateway to filter the ads, but then I get no access to

the outside world anymore. All clients got new DHCP leases after the

change of the default gateway and show 172.20.100.120, which should be

correct. Tested via WLAN and LAN.


Anybody any idea, where the glitch in the system might be?


Thanks

Comments (5)

photo
1

Hi Michael,

maybe your local DNS server on your 'Ubuntu / Pi' causes the problem.


Did you try to trace route a URL in a terminal?

Did you also try to ping a URL?

photo
1

Hi Weltraumpirat,


I can ping / traceroute from the Ubuntu-Pi, no matter if I have the eBlocker activated or not. For this machine it makes no difference but here I have put the Fritzbox address as gateway into the static IP assignment, after the server is used only via SSH and there is no need for ad-blocking.


From my my Windows notebook, I'm limited to ping (no idea, if Windows has traceroute) and ping tells me that it wants to reach the IP aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd but then I get timeouts. I have used fancy URLs that I didn't use for the last few weeks / months to avoid any cached DNS queries.


So from my point of view, the URL / IP translation to external addresses is working but then there is no route for the data, even if Windows is showing the IP of the eBlocker as "standard gateway" and the IP of the Fritzbox is listed as "gateway" inside the eBlocker network settings.

photo
1

Hi Michael,


On Windows you can trace route with the command "tracert".

On macOS you can use the command "traceroute".


Which Raspberry Pi did you use for the eBlocker?

Did you use a switch (managed / unmanaged)?

Other devices in you local network?

photo
1

Hi Weltraumpirat,


to answer your questions first:


- it's a RaspberryPi 2

- I have a managed switch in my network but the eBlocker, the server-Pi and the notebook are directly connected to the FritzBox and the switch comes "behind"...

- in total a "double-digit" number of devices in the network


I did a clean re-install of the eBlocker together with a downgrade to 0.9.1-5 right now and everything is working again. So it seems that the settings of the FritzBox and DHCP server were fine and the problem was a glitch in the system of eBlocker-OS or something got bricked during the update.


I'm curious if that happens again tonight when the eBlocker receives again the update to 0.9.2-8

photo
1

Hi Michael,


If you suffer again the same problem, try to trace rout a website from your notebook.

You should see which IP in your local network causes the problem.